The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Brown/Warren Debate Outflow

For John, BLUFOur Police should be issued traffic control wands for night traffic control.  Nothing to see, so just move along, and hope you don't hit anyone.

We didn't go to the Debate between Senator Scott Brown and challenger Elizabeth Warren at the Tsongas Arena last evening.  My reason is that these kinds of debates remind me of little boys torturing puppies.  You will have to ask my wife about her thoughts.

That said, I did take my wife to dinner at Carabba's, where we met up with three of our friends.  On the way back my wife wanted to drop some paid bills off at the Central Post Office.  We came in The Connector and down Thorndike and Dutton to Arcand.  It turns out the debate parking was still emptying out when we got back to Lowell.

One of the things both my wife and I noticed was how hard it was to see the police who were directing traffic, and, in particular, the directive hand motions.  There were few traffic control wands and no gloves with reflective surfaces.

Having spent some time in the aviation dodge I appreciate the value of lighted wands for directing aircraft at night.  It is a safety issue.

So, today I asked a policeman, with Sergeant's Stripes, about the lighted traffic control wands.  Dave, out on the streets of Lowell, told me that it is an issue.  He recalled almost being hit by a car one evening.  He noted that he had a wand, but that officers buy their own.  The wands are not an issue item, from the police department.  Such wands cost a yuppie food stamp, but the manufacturers do have you by the batteries.

My question, given that this is an apparent safety item, why are the wands and the batteries and the gloves not issue items?

Regards  —  Cliff

  I confirmed that they are not issued by calling to our Police Department, where I was treated politely and professionally and told that officers buy them on their own, but they ARE issued the Day-Glo safety vests, which I did see last night.

No comments: