The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Happy Birthday

Today is Pentacost Sunday, often called the Birthday of the Church.

Friday I was out in the street in front of my house, talking to John McDonough and his Granddaughter Zoe, when his competitor, Jimmy O'Donnell, called my cell phone.  My first thought was "What do these two businessmen know that I don't know.  But, it turned out to be Mr O'Donnell asking me to cover for him at the Saturday Four O'clock Mass.  I said yes, of course.

When I got to the Church to prepare I found that for the Pentacost Vigal there were several options for the First Reading, including the 37th Chapter of Ezekiel.  Since we don't have a dominating Liturgy Committee and I had no other guidance I picked the "dry bones" reading, with its wonderful cadence (and the words and beat of that classic spiritual repeating in the back of my mind).

Later, my Wife would point out to me that "it wasn't in the Missilette".  That didn't bother me one bit, since it was one of the approved readings.  And besides, the Congregation is supposed to be listening to me declaim the reading, not trying to follow along in a booklet.  Not because it is me, but because it is the Word of the Lord.

Just as an aside, the Parish is always looking for folks who want to be readers, which would allow us to spread the work around.  Even better would be choir members.  If you can sing (I can't) you can sing in our choir.  Just talk to the organist after the Four or the Nine.

The one thing that did disappoint me was that the recessional, on this joyous occasion, wasn't "Dem Dry Bones".

The Reading, and the hymn, talk to rebirth and to God's love for His People.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: