The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, December 13, 2010

As We Wrestle DADT

Someone I know, respect and trust sent out this little tidbit during a lengthy exchange of EMails on repeal of DADT and the problems of implementation for DoD.
[A Certain Professor] used to give a lecture at the Naval War College on the battle of Thermopile.  He'd say "I know all you Marines out there are thinking like you and the Spartans were alike.  Well, you know what they did the night before the last battle?  They sat around braiding each other's hair!  What does that tell you about the Spartans?"  I don't know how [he] knew about the night before the battle -- though his scholarship was formidable -- but it was always fun to watch the audience reaction.
Actually, I am not sure it tells us anything about the Spartans.

The fact we should face is that all cultures are a little different and that cultures change, absorbing points of other cultures and rejecting points of other cultures and points of their own cultures.  Part of that evolution includes fighting over what will be retained and what will be rejected.  At the end of the day you accept the choice of whatever constitutes the majority, even if only to live to fight another day (when, you think, the choice will be shown to have been obviously stupid) or you emigrate.

But, some things we think are natures way, are, in other cultures, not seen as natures way.

And, as your Mother told you, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to.  If they all jumped off a bridge, would you?

Regards  —  Cliff

  Yes, I have an example for you.  EMail me and I will give it to you.  I got it from my wife's Cousin, a PhD Professor of Middle Eastern History at Columbia.  I am crk at theworld decimal com.

No comments: