The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Friday, February 19, 2010

THAT was Embarrassing

Last night I was at a meeting and stumbled over GHG, which, it turns out, stands for Green House Gases.

I then said, it is like AGW, which drew a blank on everyone's face.  I then said, Anthropomorphic Global Warming.  My computer (MacBook Air) says:
anthropomorphic |ˌanθrəpəˈmôrfik|
adjective
relating to or characterized by anthropomorphism.
• having human characteristics
That seemed to go over OK, but I thought some were dubious.  Right they were to be dubious.

When I got home I was checking a couple of odd blogs and at No-Pasaran I found AGW described as Anthropogenic Global Warming.  Back to the dictionary:
anthropogenic |ˌanθrəpōˈjenik|
adjective
(chiefly of environmental pollution and pollutants) originating in human activity : anthropogenic emissions of sulfur dioxide.
So, to my companions on Thursday night, I apologize.  And to readers of this blog who I may have led astray, I apologize.

Anthropogenic Global Warning.

And, as long as we are talking climate, here is Professor Richard S Lindzen's letter to today's Bloston Globe.

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

Craig H said...

Like "pro-life/choice", "AGW" is a politicization of that which it is meant to describe, and, as such, becomes, to me, a useless term.

The earth is warmer than it once was, just as it is cooler than it once was, and it seems to be changing in our lifetimes. Therefore, "Climate Change" seems to me to be the best way to express the general concept about which we're talking.

Simply debunking (or proving) that it's "anthropogenic" doesn't do the least little thing about it. Or, put another way, if there's profit to be made for buying ocean-front real estate in southern Tennessee, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.