The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Where were they?

Because the person assigned to be the Narrator for the Gospel for the 1030 Palm Sunday service at the Immaculate Conception Parish was out sick, I was the designated replacement--being familiar with the text, having done it at the Saturday Four.

It turned out I also had to double as the Altar Server.

I hope that now that CCD is over for this School Year that the 1030 will have four Altar Servers from now until the fall, or two at least.

When I was young I wanted to be an Altar Server, but my Mother wouldn't let me, because my grades were not good enough. I claim I was a late bloomer. But, today's youth are all as bright as shiny new pennies, so that can't be an excuse. So, I have to ask if they are so over-committed that they can't take a few short lessons on being an Altar Server and then maintain a schedule over time? They are supposed to be at Mass anyway. And, as a bonus, they don't have to learn any Church Latin.

One of the things I learned as an fairly young adult was that the laity in a Parish helping to do things is not a closed collection of some pseudo-parish elite. Rather, they are a over-worked and desperate group of people trying to help a busy Parish Priest minister to the congregation. It would be good if the youth of the Parish learned that point early on and did their own volunteering.

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(From over the Transom)

And they don't have to jiggle the bells or kneel very much.