The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Rush

There has been a lot of talk about Rush Limbaugh's talk at CPAC Saturday last.  I actually had a copy of the talk from on line, but wasn't up to posting it.  Then, this AM, Ellen Goodman talked about it in her column in The Boston Globe.  Tempted, but other things got in the way.  Besides, Ms Goodman is correct, Rush is no Oprah, and probably doesn't want to be.

Finally, just now, I watched the tape of "Beat the Press."  I would link, but they are VERY slow in getting the recent show up on the web site. I am not sure why that is.  At any rate, the five talking heads all talked about it--of course, Emily Rooney brought it up.  Of the bunch of commentators, Jon Keller was the most level headed.

The consensus on "Beat the Press" was that (1) Rush is a bigoted idiot, (2) the Democrats and Corporal Cue Ball are brilliant, and (3) this will keep the Republican part in splinters for a long time.

On the other hand, here is the take at the LA Times, with transcript.  And, if you have to have the transcript according to Rush, here it is from his own web site.

I am not sure I agree with "Beat the Press." First off, why does Rush Limbaugh get everyone so excited?  I don't think I understand that.  He is entertaining and he is interesting. He is sometimes off the beam.  But, heck, so is Chris Matthews, who I have watched in the past, but have recently been unable to fit into my schedule.  But, the same goes for Rush.  Today I was on the road twice between noon and three, but didn't listen to him for a minute--other things to do.

Second, does anyone really think that Rush controls the destiny of the Republican Party?  That is partly in the hands of President Obama and partly in the hands of Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid and partly in the hands of Mr Steele and partly in the hands of whoever emerges as the next front runner for President.  The Congressional races in 2010 will be important as an indicator, but they will largely be about (1) the economy and (2) what the local voters think is important.

I would say that if one is a Democrat and one wishes to know about what Rush Limbaugh is all about, one should read Deer Hunting with Jesus:  Dispatches from America's Class War.  The author, Joe Bageant, a Democrat, tries to explain to the people on the two Coasts and in Chicago about all the other people in the country.  It is a quick read.  If you want to, you can borrow my copy.  Call me or EMail me.

Regards  --  Cliff

No comments: